What is FRAXEL?
What is it? Fraxel ® Dual Laser System is a non-invasive laser treatment that uses fractional photothermolysis to penetrate through the skin layer to promote collagen production. It is a non-ablative treatment that delivers heat into the skin through thousands of tiny and specific columns known as microthermal treatment zones (MTZs). These MTZs are able to penetrate the skin to a controlled and precise height and width, which allows the Fraxel laser system to treat microscopic volumes of skin, while allowing for intervening untreated skin. As a result, the surrounding area remains intact and this translates to faster healing and a much shorter recovery period compared to if the whole area was treated, or if traditional CO2 laser resurfacing was used.
Doctors will usually recommend multiple sessions (3-5), usually space four weeks apart, to achieve the best results. Immediately after treatment, patients may experience the following:
- A slight “sunburnt” look
Post-treatment, patients will be advised to moisturise liberally to hydrate the skin and encourage the healing process. They can use a product they already own, or, if they do not have a suitable moisturiser, we can also recommend them a specific product for post treatment from the range we carry. Patients are also advised to use sunblock to minimise the chances of post-inflammatory pigmentation. They may also use mineral based concealers and/or makeup on D2 post-treatment if desired.
Acclaro uses FDA-approved fractional laser technology to treat the following indications with the results depending on the individual’s skin and the number of sessions undertaken:
- Whole Face Rejuvenation (for fine lines and wrinkles) – Fraxel ® Dual Laser System treatment stimulates the skin’s natural wound-healing response, leading over time to repair and rejuvenation of the treated dermis layer and an improvement in skin laxity.
- Pigmentation (such as Melasma) - Fraxel ® Dual Laser System can be used to minimize the appearance of age spots, sun spots, skin discoloration and lesions, resulting in clearer, less blotchy and pigmented skin. As a result, skin looks younger and fresher.
- Acne Scars and Surface Scarring - Fraxel ® Dual Laser System can help minimize the appearance of acne scars and other skin scarring by stimulating natural collagen development in the skin, which over time will lead to an improvement of skin texture and smoother skin.
Why CHOOSE Fraxel?
The Fraxel ® Dual Laser System is an effective, non-surgical treatment that can be used to target a wide array of skin aging issues and it is suitable for most skin types. As the name suggests, the machine uses two different wavelengths—a 1550nm erbium laser and a 1927nm thulium fiber laser. Doctors at Acclaro can tailor Fraxel ® Dual Laser System treatments to meet different patient needs, and the clinical device can be used to treated multiple indications for a single patient. It's especially ideal for people who want their skin to look younger with natural-looking results, and can’t afford a lot of time away from work or their social life.
The Fraxel ® Dual Laser System is cleared for the following uses:
- Fraxel 1550nm wavelength is indicated for dermatological procedures to address deeper pathology such as skin laxity and tone; skin resurfacing procedures; treatment of skin discoloration and lesions, such as, but not limited to age spots, sun spots, and melasma; and treatment of wrinkles around the eyes, acne scars, and surgical scars.
- Fraxel 1927nm wavelength is indicated for dermatological procedures requiring to address more superficial pathology such as skin laxity; treatment of mild sun damage and pigmented lesions, specifically age spots, sun spots, and freckles.